Makeup primer is fast making a place for itself in the vanity case of makeup artists around the world. Though a relatively new cosmetic product, it has quickly gained popularity as a must-have for women who want flawless finish of their makeup. As the name indicates, makeup primer helps in preparing the face for the application of various cosmetics by smoothing out fine lines and creating an even surface so that the foundation glides on smoothly over it.
What does a makeup primer contain?
The key ingredients present in the primer include silicones, waxes and polymers that help in smoothening fine lines especially those around the eyes and mouth, though only temporarily. Moreover, these come in a variety of tints that aid in camouflaging scars, skin discolorations and age spots. To add to it, the fillers in primers level out skin and create a natural base for long lasting makeup.
Benefits of using a primer
There are several benefits of using a primer before makeup application, a few of which are listed below:
• Creates a smooth skin surface and evens out the skin tone
• Reduces the appearance of skin redness
• Tinted primers are apt for use even if the user has skin inflammation
• Camouflages any skin flaws and imperfections
• Serves as a protective base before applying foundation
• Prevents the secretion of excess sebum, especially along the T-zone, which gives an oily shine to the face
• Reduces the visibility of enlarged pores
• Aids in even application of foundation and other makeup products and facilitates easy blending of blush and eye shadow
• It prevents the makeup from clogging the pores, thus allowing the skin to breathe.
Best selling primers in the market
For an airbrushed look, you can opt for any of these three top selling makeup primers – Smashbox Photo Finish Primer, Revlon Smoothing Beyond Natural Primer and Urban Decay Primer Potion. These offer sheer coverage, help the makeup in staying on for hours and are pocket friendly.
The right way of applying primer
The makeup primers available in the market come in the form of gel formulations that you can dispense in required quantity on your fingertips. Apply the primer after moisturiser and allow it to seep into the skin for a few minutes before applying foundation. Simply dab the makeup primer all over your face including lips and eyelids and massage it in with your ring finger using feathery strokes.
You can also use especially formulated eyeshadow primer if you like experimenting with the eyeshadow palette and do not want different colours to be deposited along the creases of your eyelids. This will also offer staying power to your eyebrow makeup. Thus, add a makeup primer to your cosmetic routine to look your best.